Interesting Tidbits About Valerie -
- She dined on the Great Wall of China - twice!
- She danced with George Balanchine at The Savoy in London.
- She flew from New York to Beijing, Shanghai, Doha and on to Nairobi in one week.
- She treasured being seated on the left of the Maharajah of Jodhpur at his Umaid Bhawan Palace.
- She thought a hot air balloon would be boring. Instead, on her recent visit to Africa, she was surprised that it was inspirational.
- She was exhilarated by jetboating in New Zealand until the skies let loose with a downpour.
- She was recognized with a bench named in her honor in the gardens of Versailles by the Dorchester Collection.
- She shares some of her most memorable trips...her first safari to Kenya, visiting Rajasthan, India for the first time and indulging in its wondrous colors, in addition, taking helicopter rides in Cambodia and over the Okavango Delta in Botswana.
- Where in the world has Valerie not been? The North and South Poles.
Other Notable Notes -
- Features London's oldest Hotel (Brown's)
- Features the world's tallest hotel (The Ritz-Carlton, Hong Kong)
- Features a hotel in the world's tallest building (Armani Hotel Dubai)
- Features a hotel with the world's first elevator (The Savoy, London)
- Features two hotels that were former prisons (Four Sseasons Istanbul at Sultanahmet and The Liberty in Boston)
- Features the smallest hotel, with just six accommodations (Singita Sweni)
- Features the largest hotel (Ritz-Carlton Millenia Singapore)
- Features hotels that were destroyed in WWII (Breidenbacher and Taschenbergpalais)
- Features a hotel that lets you see three countries from one spot (Four Seasons Triangle Hotel)
- Features the hotel that hosted Elizabeth Taylor for six of her honeymoons (Beverly Hills Hotel)
- The oldest hotel in the book is Goldener Hirsch.
- The newest hotel in the book is 45 Park Lane.
There are a total of 398 properties featured in the book. The breakdown is as follows -
- 129 in Europe
- 55 in Africa, India, Indian Ocean and Middle East
- 68 in Asia & Pacific
- 7 in Canada
- 88 in the US
- 13 in Mexico
- 1 in Central America
- 12 in South America
- 25 in Bahamas, Bermuda, Caribbean